Monday, June 11, 2012

Pillow Project! {With The Kids At PS1 School}

 A few weeks back a good friend {and half of my trusted photographer duo} asked me to help her out with an after school project with the kids at the PS1 School she works at in Santa Monica. {you might remember I also paired up with them a few months back for an art auction}.  Well this time around, a group of her students won a contest and thus won the prize of picking a project they all wanted to do...to my luck they picked pillow making!! So last week, we {Kimber and I} gathered up some leftover {but extremely funky} materials for the kids to get creative with while teaching them a thing or two about cool ways to upcycle and re-use random materials and we gave them a chance to be the designers! 

The day before we had the kids get a little "jackson pollock" on us by showing them what a little bleach could do to denim, and later that day Kimber and I finished the rest. A splitter splatter here and a splitter splatter there...



To give them a head start and a little inspiration I brought in some of the pillows I had done to show them what was possible..Then Kimber, myself and the 10 kids at PS1 School got to get even more creative and started picking, pinning and sewing up the fabric and trim.


  
Heres what they came up with....how cool right?! 






And they all had so much fun...they wanna do it again next school year!


I even made specialty labels just for them...who knows, maybe a KIDS line of pillows is the next direction for me:)


Creatively Yours,
Cassandra Stearns


No comments:

Post a Comment